Telling your kids that you plan to divorce is not a conversation to be taken lightly. It’s one that marks a turning point in all of your lives.
For the sake of your children’s mental health, it’s important to be prepared. In this excellent blog posting, Carolin Lehmann offers some expert tips to help you share the news with your kids in the best way possible considering the circumstances.
1. Watch your tone.
2. Let them know that the divorce is not their fault.
3. Use clear language.
4. Tell all the kids at the same time.
5. Give your kids advance notice before a parent moves out.
6. Consider timing.
7. Let them know you’ll both always be there.
8. Show a unified front.
9. Offer a sense of stability.
10. Don’t tell them you still love each other.